Wedding Planning Timeline
The Wedding Planning Timeline will keep you on task to meet deadines throught the planning process. We are here to wotk within your personal and/or work schedule as well as keep you on task with due dates. We will provide a preliminary agenda with due dates and edit throughout the process as decisions are made. Once you have chosen a vendor it is important to make a deposit to confirm the vendor of your choice. Keep in mind, destination weddings in the Riviera Maya are very popular and a vendor can only service so many events in one day. A reception site, church or vendor is not confirmed until they have received a deposit and prices are subject to change until deposited.
My Playa Wedding coordinates professional weddings and has a team of vendors to assure your event is successful. We do not want you to "work" on your wedding day, so please let our vendors do the work so you can enjoy your time for your Playa del Carmen destination wedding.
We can plan a wedding within a couple of weeks, so don't fret! Whether you have a week, months or a year, we are here to help. We know everyone has busy schedules so just let us know your time frame and we will accommodate your needs.
9 to 18 months Prior To Your Wedding
- SET YOUR BUDGET: An agenda and budget itemizing choices you have made for vendors will be created and edited thru the planning process as you make decisions. Deposits for vendors will be made when vendors request them with all final payments due not later than 60 days prior to the wedding date. Once the final deposits are made, these items are non-refundable.
- MAKE YOUR GUEST LIST: Start with family and friends, you love and they love you! If you don't gather with friends for a "night out", then you may not need to invite them. Decide if you are including kids, or set an age limit. Develop your guest list to estimate a head count to set your budget, as well as determine if you can book the location you want based on the capacity of the wedding event site.
- CEREMONY & RECEPTION SITE: This is the most important item to book to begin your planning as well as create a vision for your wedding night. When choosing your site, consider space, number of guests, view, logistics for guests, budget, back-up in case of incremental weather, food reviews, staffing, service, etc.
- HOTEL & ACCOMMODATIONS: This is as important as the reception site in order to get the best discounted rates. It is best to post your rates on your wedding website or "save the date" letter. We like to book the Bride & Groom rooms, bridal party and immediate family rooms first before sending the information to the rest of the guests. Room deposits are required and once your room is booked, please tell guests to read the confirmation to assure the information is correct.
- CHOOSE YOUR WEDDING INSPIRATION: Think about your color palette, theme, styles, attire to set the theme for your Playa del Carmen destination wedding. This is a great time to start your pinterest board!
- SHOP FOR YOUR DRESS: Take your time and try on as many styles as you can, as you may be surprised the dress you say "yes" to may not be the dress or style you always dreamed of!
- WEDDING WEBSITE: Choose a wedding website template, complete the information and have this completed before you send the "save the dates".
- SEND THE SAVE THE DATE: Send this as soon as you have confirmed your ceremony and reception site and have the lodging information ready for your guests.
- PHOTOGRAPHER & VIDEOGRAPHER: This should be done as soon as you have confirmed a venue, as the best photographers get booked first. Photographers can be booked by the hour or as a package, however most require a 2 or 4 hour minimum. You will need to pay for their meals as part of the service during their event, and we offer staff meals to keep your night within your budget.
6-9 Months Prior To Your Wedding
- SHOP FOR BRIDAL PARTY ATTIRE: Choosing your dress may be easy, but bridal parties come in different ages, shapes and sizes, so try on a variety of colors and styles. Many weddings are choosing to use the same color of dress but let the girls choose their own style based on their body shape.
- ENTERTAINMENT: Start thinking of what type of music you would like during your ceremony and reception. Most musicians book 45 minute sets, so if you would like a mariachi, guitarist, violinist, singer, duo, trio, etc, they will charge one price per 45 minutes. Some musicians offer better rates if you book them longer. You can "mix it up" and have a variety of musicians during the night or save some money and have a DJ play your music for the entire event (ceremony, cocktail hour, dinner and reception).
- CEREMONY OFFICIANT: You may bring your own Officiant or we will book your Pastor, Rabbi, Priest, Shaman or any Officiant you need for your ceremony. We will provide sample wedding scripts and custom design scripts to incorporate any traditions you like.
- FLORAL & DECOR: Send us photos or we will forward floral suggestions for you to start thinking about your colors for your wedding arch, bride bouquet, maid of honor bouquet, bridesmaids bouquet, corsages for mothers, grandmothers or aunts, (pin or wrist), boutonnieres for groom, groomsmen, fathers, grandfathers, ushers or ring bearer. Some floral are seasonal, so please send us your photos and we will get pricing for your event. Prices will be subject to taxes and delivery fees.
- BRIDAL PARTY LIST: Please send us a list of your bridal party and the order of the bridal processional. It is best to choose a Maid of Honor, Best Man or people in your bridal party who will help and support you during your special day. During the rehearsal ceremony, we will assign specific duties to these members (example: getting the bride to the ceremony on time, helping with the wedding dress, making sure the Bride and Groom do not see each other before the special event, etc), so let us know who you have chosen to support you on your special day.
- RINGS: Purchase or deposit wedding rings and don't forget to bring them to your Playa del Carmen destination wedding.
- REGISTER FOR GIFTS: Be sure to tell your bridal party where you are registered so they can help with family and friend requests, as well as add this information to your wedding website.
- DECOR AND LINENS: After you have chosen your color scheme and floral, please let me know of your linen choices, color of napkins, table runners, napkin rings, etc, as well as any other décor to include lighting, candles, furniture, etc.
- STATIONARY: Design your invites, thank you notes and place cards for dinner seating.
- HONEYMOON: Book your honeymoon and make sure you have current passports.
4-6 Months Prior To Your Wedding
- MENU & BAR: Many people like to choose a menu for budgeting purposes when they contract their venue, however the final menu selection is required 30 days prior. An agenda will be completed with the timeline of the day event, menu, bar selections, vendors, etc. Special orders for champagne, wine, etc must be made at this time. For plated dinners, the counts for the choices (fish, steak or pasta) are required 30 days prior and must match the appropriate guest place cards for seating.
- WEDDING CAKE: Photographs of cakes and flavor choices have been forwarded or you may send us your photos. You may choose two flavors for a two or three tier cake. Cakes will be subject to delivery fees.
- REHEARSAL DINNER OR WELCOME PARTY: Decide if you would like to host a Welcome Party for all your destination wedding guests or an intimate rehearsal dinner for your bridal party and immediate family. This is traditionally hosted by the Groom's parents and is held the night before your wedding. My Playa Wedding works with a variety of restaurants with various price points so let us know your budget and theme so we can book your special event.
- 3 Months Prior To Your Wedding
- INVITES: Send out wedding invites and include entrée option if offering choices for dinner entrees.
- TOASTS & SONGS: Send us the names of the people who will be making toasts, conducting a prayer as well as your song list for bridal processional, bridal entrance, recessional,first dance as husband and wife, father/daughter dance, mother/son dance, cake cutting song and last dance of the evening.
- CEREMONY PROGRAM, MENU & WELCOME LETTER: Design and print your wedding ceremony programs and menus to advise guests of the wedding day events.
- PARTY FAVORS & WELCOME GIFTS: If you would like welcome gift bags for your guests, please let us know your budget and we can arrange any welcome gifts and deliver to your guest rooms or provide upon check-in to their hotel. We will also purchase party favors for your special event that you can attach name place cards to for seating.
- BRIDAL PARTY GIFTS: Purchase gifts for your bridal party.
- PHOTOGRAPHER LIST: Begin writing list of shots you like your photographer to take, as well as names of people to include for photos for better organization during your Playa del Carmen destination wedding.
- SEATING FOR RECEPTION: This is the area that can be tedious, with every little change in numbers. So, this is best to do when you have a final count and do not fret when people make change! We will accommodate changes and the more the merrier!
2 Months Prior To Your Wedding
- VOWS: Write your vows, organize and practice toasts or thank you speech.
- GROUND: Book transportation from airport to hotel and/or venue.
- TRIAL: Try a trial hair and make-up, and remember to bring veil or head piece for practice.
1 Month Prior To Your Wedding
- AGENDA: Send your wedding agenda to your immediate family and bridal party so they are aware of tasks and timeline to help you be organized and stress-free.
- PACKING LIST: Start a list of items you need to pack and remember "emergency kit items" for your special day. And don't forget the garter, something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue!
- FITTING: Book your final wedding dress fitting.
30-7 Days Prior To Your Wedding
- PAMPER YOURSELF yourself with plenty of sleep before your wedding and start packing!
- FULL PAYMENT FOR RECEPTION: Food and beverage events must be paid at least 7 days prior to arrival. You may wire funds, pay via pay pal or pay upon arrival to your wedding site.
- PICK-UP WEDDING ATTIRE: Pick up all wedding attire and don't forget the accessories!
- BANK: Contact your credit card companies to tell them you are traveling to Mexico so they will allow charges to occur when you are in Mexico.
- CELL PHONE COMPANY: Contact your cell phone provider and let them know you are traveling to Mexico to add any additional plans to include Mexico calls and ask them about roaming charges.
3-7 Days Prior:
- WALK THRU OF THE VENUE: Visit the ceremony and wedding site with your planner for final logistics.
- CEREMONY REHEARSAL: My Playa Wedding will coordinate a ceremony rehearsal with your Officiant, bridal party and family being escorted to their seats. Any readers and ushers should also be present.
- DAY BEFORE THE WEDDING DAY: Go to bed early, have a massage.
It's here! Be sure to eat, relax and enjoy! Give the rings to someone responsible and arrive to the venue at least 30 minutes prior to the ceremony. Let the celebration begin and enjoy your new life with your spouse, family and friends!